I purchased cranberries for a muffin recipe I’m working on and just had to add a handful to my oatmeal this morning! Cranberry Orange Oatmeal brings the familiar flavors of Thanksgiving to your breakfast bowl. I used fresh cranberries, but frozen would work, too. I’m going to stock my freezer up on cranberries while they are in season and on sale this week. I can’t believe it took me all of my life to like cranberries, but I’m a new HUGE fan!
I’m careful to stay within the THM guidelines of 5 grams of fat in an E meal. I also sprinkle 2 TBS of Great Lakes Gelatin (green bottle) over my bowl for that extra nutrition and bonus protein I need for my Fibromyalgia–this is optional and doesn’t affect the taste.
- **Mama Bear Portion
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- **Daddy Bear portion
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 2 TBS Great Lakes Gelatin, optional
- sweetener to taste
- topping of choice-- 1 TBS chopped nuts
- Measure water, salt and oats into small pot. Bring to a boil on med-high heat.
- Once boiling, add cranberries (if using fresh) , turn down heat and set timer for 3 minutes.
- Stir every 30 seconds or so to prevent oatmeal from sticking to pot.
- After 3 minutes, remove from heat, add cranberries (if using frozen), cover and reset timer for 3 more minutes. Sprinkle with gelatin, if using.
- Add orange extract, sweetener, and spoon into bowl. Top with 1 TBS chopped nuts.